1) What inspired you to start your own life and style blog?
I was looking for ways to be more engaged in my city, and there is so much amazing stuff happening in Calgary. Starting my blog gave me a creative outlet and inspired me to spend more time out and about, experiencing all Calgary has to offer.
2) What do you feel makes your blog different?
My blog is all about little ways to make like easier and prettier. I think of myself as a pretty typical twenty-something – I don’t have a ton of disposable income but I want to live a well-styled life. I’m all about DIY and little lifehacks that don’t break the bank.
3) What keeps you motivated?
I’m motivated by the cool people I’ve met since I started my blog. There are so many inspiring, creative people in Calgary, and I feel lucky to have gotten to know some of them.
4) What do you love about having your blog based in YYC?
There are so many things I love about YYC. Being based in Calgary means I can showcase gorgeous skyline views and cool events like Beakerhead. Plus Calgary has a ton of cool murals, which is great for the ‘Gram.
5) What can readers/followers expect to gain from your blog?
Readers can expect to learn some tips and tricks for creating a home and wardrobe that reflect your sense of style without spending a lot of money. They’ll also find tips for making the life details a little easier, like how to clear out your inbox or how to organize your closet without getting frustrated.
6) What are 3 things you think the general public doesn’t know or understand about the real work involved with being a successful fashion blogger?
One of the things I learned when I started my blog is just how much time and energy it takes. I’m constantly on the hunt for content, looking for cool shots for Instagram or figuring out how to DIY that thing I saw at Anthropologie. Then there’s the actual doing the DIY (some projects are more successful than others), writing the post, and then setting up the promotion for the post. It’s a lot of work (sometimes without much reward) but I really enjoy it.
7) Tell us one thing about yourself that most people wouldn’t know?
This won’t be a surprise to anyone who follows me on Instagram, I have a dog named Riggins (after Tim Riggins of Friday Night Lights) and he is the light of my life.
8) What is your hope for the online community in the next 5 years?
I hope the trend of community-over-competition continues. I love seeing people supporting people; I think the world needs a lot more of that right now, and I hope I can contribute to a positive, supportive online community.